[Mesa-dev] TGSI and Tessellation Control Shader outputs

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 07:59:14 PDT 2014

I have been thinking about this more and I actually like the way
OpenGL does it. The indexing with InvocationID can be lowered with a
copy propagation pass for drivers that cannot do it - or they can just
ignore the innermost index and assume it's always equal to
InvocationID. I also prefer having readable shader outputs.

One little ugly thing right now is that patch outputs are
one-dimensional and vertex outputs are 2-dimensional. So you normally
get:

OUT[][0], POSITION
OUT[1], PATCH
OUT[2], PATCH1
OUT[][3], GENERIC
OUT[4], TESSINNER
OUT[5], TESSOUTER

We can either leave it this way and assume that if an output access is
2-dimensional, it's per-vertex, otherwise it's per-patch. Or we can
add another file for per-vertex data. The same applies to shader
inputs and I think we have had this since geometry shaders:

IN[][0], POSITION
IN[1], PRIMITIVEID

Not to say that indirect addressing into outputs is a mess. For that,
it would be better to have a strict mapping from outputs to semantics,
e.g. OUT0[i] == PATCHi and OUT1[][j] == GENERICj. Alternatively, we
can just explicitly use semantic names in the shader code, e.g.:

MOV OUT.GENERIC[ADDR.x], TEMP[0]

But that would be a lot of work and I'd rather not delay upstreaming
tessellation because of this.

Thoughts?

Marek