[Mesa-dev] [OT] some contribution statistics

Giuseppe Bilotta giuseppe.bilotta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 05:23:07 PST 2015

Hello all,

when Steam first announced they'd give all present and future games
free to all Mesa contributors with at least 25 commits[1], I was
curious to see how many people would be affected by this choice, so I
ran some statistics on the number of committers (and contributions by
committer) on Mesa at the time, with the following results (for April
9, 2015):

# count: 684
# min: 1
# max: 14020
# mid: 7010.5
# range: 14019

# mean: 101.35818713450293
# stddev: 652.7501707733724

# mode(s): 1

# median: 2
# quartiles: 1 2 10
# IQR: 9

Having come across an old discussion about these stats, I decided to
rerun the stats now, and the results are:

# count: 736
# min: 1
# max: 14310
# mid: 7155.5
# range: 14309

# mean: 102.19701086956522
# stddev: 651.6642244733528

# mode(s): 1

# median: 3
# quartiles: 1 3 12
# IQR: 11

And I would say that this counts as an improvement: the mean number of
contributions per developer has gone up, but most importantly the
_median_ contribution has gone up (from 2 to 3 contributions), and
ditto for the upper quartile (from 10 to 12). In some sense, the 'long
tail' of contributors in Mesa has _shortened_ in these 8 months, even
though the number of contribution has increased!

The only problem with these numbers is actually the lack of a .mailmap
to normalize contributor name/emails, which obviously skews the
results a little bit towards the lower end. I don't suppose someone
has a .mailmap for Mesa contributors, or is interested in creating
one?

[1]: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2015-April/081045.html

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta