[Mesa-dev] Incorrect assertion in ir_assignment?

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Thu Feb 12 08:05:49 PST 2015

On 02/12/2015 06:19 AM, Iago Toral wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is this assertion in ir_assignment::ir_assignment() src/glsl/ir.cpp
> correct?
>
> assert(lhs_components == this->rhs->type->vector_elements);
>
> We will hit this any time we emit code such as this:
>
> assign(var1, expr, WRITEMASK_XY)

In this case expr must have two components.  I think you want

  assign(var1, swizzle_for_size(expr, 2), WRITEMASK_XY)

GLSL IR assignments match the components in order.  If var1 is a vec3,
all of the following are valid and different:

  assign(var1, swizzle_for_size(expr, 2), WRITEMASK_XY)

  assign(var1, swizzle_for_size(expr, 2), WRITEMASK_XZ)

  assign(var1, swizzle_for_size(expr, 2), WRITEMASK_YZ)

So the writemask is definitely not useless.