[Mesa-dev] State of Geometry shader instancing on radeonsi

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 25 09:41:54 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Alexandre Demers
<alexandre.f.demers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to know if someone is working on Geometry shader instancing
> for radeonsi or if there is already a work in progress somewhere I
> would have missed. I might be interested in giving it a try and then
> on GL_ARB_viewport_array.

While there's no harm in working on GS instancing on its own, note
that it's only a small part of the ARB_gpu_shader5 extension, so won't
be immediately useful until the other pieces are completed (which will
mostly involve adding LLVM support for the ops in question if they're
not there yet, and then wiring them up).

ARB_viewport_array is a much more self-contained extension. Note that
ARB_fragment_layer_viewport will automatically get enabled once you
claim multiple viewports, so make sure to make gl_ViewportIndex work
in fp as well if you decide to do it. You may have to pass it as a
varying "by hand", not sure... IIRC I had to do that in r600. There
are piglits that cover the various cases.

[Hopefully Marek and/or some of the other AMD guys will pipe up if
they've worked on any of these things and just haven't published yet.]

  -ilia