[Mesa-dev] NIR and MSVC

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Thu Jan 15 07:39:27 PST 2015

I just pushed NIR to master.  I wanted to write a couple of notes about the
interaction between that code and MSVC and what the current plan is.  Right
now, NIR won't build with MSVC; at least not MSVC 2010 (or is it 11?) as it
uses quite a bit of C99.  It should be mostly MSVC 2013 safe except for 2
or 3 placs we use explicit initializers with unions.  That said, the MSVC
build isn't broken as it also doesn't build with scons.  That was very
intentional on my part as I want to buy some time so we can push now and
deal with the MSVC issues later.

I'm CCing Eric because he is planning to use NIR in the vc4 backend and
possibly in the frontend to do GLSL IR -> NIR -> TGSI.  This can use can
probably also be made to be a compile-time option until the time comes when
you are able to finally start building with MSVC 2013.  The biggest issue
here is that it would give us two GLSL -> NIR translation path to keep up
which could prove somewhat painful so I don't think we want to have both
long-term.  As I don't know what your timetable is on that, I can't say
much more.

Thanks,
--Jason Ekstrand