[Mesa-dev] NIR and MSVC

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Jan 15 12:50:40 PST 2015

Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> writes:

> I just pushed NIR to master.  I wanted to write a couple of notes about the
> interaction between that code and MSVC and what the current plan is.  Right
> now, NIR won't build with MSVC; at least not MSVC 2010 (or is it 11?) as it
> uses quite a bit of C99.  It should be mostly MSVC 2013 safe except for 2
> or 3 placs we use explicit initializers with unions.  That said, the MSVC
> build isn't broken as it also doesn't build with scons.  That was very
> intentional on my part as I want to buy some time so we can push now and
> deal with the MSVC issues later.
>
> I'm CCing Eric because he is planning to use NIR in the vc4 backend and
> possibly in the frontend to do GLSL IR -> NIR -> TGSI.  This can use can
> probably also be made to be a compile-time option until the time comes when
> you are able to finally start building with MSVC 2013.  The biggest issue
> here is that it would give us two GLSL -> NIR translation path to keep up
> which could prove somewhat painful so I don't think we want to have both
> long-term.  As I don't know what your timetable is on that, I can't say
> much more.

Yeah, I'd rather just not expose my code to MSVC until VMWare deals with
updating their compiler.  C99 is too important for writing reliable and
understandable code to me to put up with MSVC pre-2013.

This is easy enough at the moment because we'll just put it in the
autotools build and then it's just a question of whether your driver
calls it or not.