[Mesa-dev] Fwd: GPU-CPU sync during radeonQueryGetResult

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 6 10:13:04 PDT 2015

I'm only really familiar with nouveau, but I think all GPU hardware
works in roughly the same way. Basically you have some way of
inserting "write X to address Y" into the command stream (aka a
"fence"), after which you insert "write X+1 to address Y" and so on.
If you want the CPU to wait on a given fence, you just do "while
(*address < x);". If you have multiple GPU processing queues, you can
usually also insert a "stall this queue until the value at address Y
is at least X" command into the command stream.

DRM uses implicit fences, so it knows which BOs are used for
particular commands. So the flow goes something like "submit bunch of
commands; submit fence write and attach that fence id to the BOs in
the previous bunch of comands". Then to wait for a bo to become ready,
you just wait until the GPU writes the appropriate number to memory
address Y (from above).

The mesa drivers can sometimes use clever tricks that avoid this
sync'ing because it knows exactly how it emits the commands and
perhaps it waits on something related earlier whereby it knows the
other thing will be ready. No idea if that's the case here.

Hope this helps,

  -ilia