[Mesa-dev] ARB_copy_image support in Gallium

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 20 11:44:45 PDT 2015

Hi Brian,

You marked off ARB_copy_image (and ARB_clear_texture) as in-progress
by VMware some months ago -- has there been any movement on that? It
appears that Bioshock Infinite requires ARB_copy_image so might be
nice to get that added in.

The complication in implementing ARB_copy_image was that st/mesa will
pick potentially different PIPE_FORMAT enums for the same internal
format, depending on the parameters to the glTexImage call. A
developer (irc handle Leftmost, I forget his real name, sorry) tried
to wrestle with the issues this presents, but as I recall ended up
coming up short.

The final implementation probably needs some combination of
resource_copy_region and blit. I think resource_copy_region currently
is spec'd to require identical formats in src and dst, but that could
be relaxed.

Anyways, would be interested in hearing whether you guys have made any
progress, or if you had thoughts on proper implementation.

Cheers,

  -ilia