[Mesa-dev] ARB_copy_image support in Gallium

Roland Scheidegger sroland at vmware.com
Tue Jul 21 13:33:19 PDT 2015

I just realized that there's actually another difference if you'd use
the util_is_format_compatible to see whether resource_copy_region may be
used: d3d style, this would exclude things like rg16 being compatible
with r32 completely, swizzled or not (this is how d3d10 typeless groups
work). Granted it never really was documented that well... But if you'd
want to allow uncompressed->compressed copies too that definitely should
be documented.

I think that generally you'd prefer resource_copy when you can, because
blit can do a lot more in general. Though of course nothing prevents you
to detect blits which you can do with (say) a dma engine.
resource_copy should also work with all type of resources, buffers and
the like which are also excluded from blits (anything non-renderable).

But of course the resource_copy stuff is way older than GL's view
classes, so it's not surprising it isn't quite specced to be able to do
everything ARB_copy_image can, since GL's view classes turned out to be
fairly incompatible compared to d3d10 typeless groups.

Roland