[Mesa-dev] Statically linking libstdc++ and libgcc

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Mar 12 00:15:56 PDT 2015

On 11.03.2015 05:07, Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote:
> Hi - As you probably already know, there can only be one version of
> libstdc++.so in your runtime link chain - This is usually not a problem,
> but when things are linked against the Steam runtime (for example), they
> can end up with two - one from the steam runtime, and one pulled in via
> the mesa dri libs from the OS/distribution.

How can that happen? The problems I've seen related to this were usually
because Steam overrides the system libstdc++ / libgcc with older
versions, which breaks other system libraries.

Can somebody please tell Valve that doing that is not okay? And it's not
necessary either. Each library can be compared to the system version
individually and only overridden when necessary, e.g. by putting each
library into its own directory and only adding the necessary directories
to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. E.g. VMware use this approach in their products.