[Mesa-dev] Summer of Code ideas (maybe just an idea wishlist?)

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 21:46:57 PDT 2015

Here are some ideas I think might be reasonable GSoC ideas.

 - GLSL linking in NIR
     - Would allow us to stop doing optimizations and other expensive
things on GLSL IR

 - SSA in the i965/fs backend, and an SSA-based register allocator

 - Improve instruction scheduling in i965 (Nouveau has this on the
Wiki as well. Maybe potential for code reuse)

 - Maybe some OpenGL features (???), although lots of things are
already in progress, like tessellation and compute shaders and others
are probably on the critical path

Are these good GSoC projects? Good -- being a combination of
characteristics like usefulness, feasibility, well defined, and
properly sized.

Feel free to comment on them and to reply with your own. We can pick
some we like and put them on the wiki.