[Mesa-dev] Summer of Code ideas (maybe just an idea wishlist?)

Laura Ekstrand laura at jlekstrand.net
Fri Mar 13 10:24:40 PDT 2015

We should try to steer people away from just writing Piglit tests for GSoC,
unless they have a specific mentor in mind and have already talked to him
or her.  In my experience, Piglit tests are difficult to do well because
each one is drastically different from the others and involves cultivating
a fairly deep understanding of the the OpenGL function in question.

A project pairing a specific extension with relevant tests (like Martin and
I have done with ARB_dsa) would be better as long as it's a fairly specific
domain of the OpenGL spec.  That way, the student can study the spec for
one specific set of objects or entry points and cultivate the necessary
understanding they need to write the related tests.

A lot of the emails we've gotten from students saying "I want to write 4.x
Piglit tests" have been too broad/generic and would be difficult for a
student to master in a summer without lots of mentoring/direction from the
community.