[Mesa-dev] Good compiler literature?

Connor Abbott cwabbott0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 18:51:09 PDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 5:54 PM, Thomas Helland
<thomashelland90 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for good literature on compilers?
> Since GPU's and CPU's are a bit different there are probably
> books that are better suited than others for GPUs?
> I have what is probably Norway's biggest library on the subject to rent
> books from, so I guess I should be able to find most suggestions there.
>
> Regards
> Thomas

Hi,

Unfortunately there seems to be a bit of a dearth of books when it
comes to compiler optimizations and backend things, especially when it
comes to SSA -- which is the most interesting part! I would skip the
dragon book unless you're interested in the front-end things (parsing,
symbol tables, etc.); I haven't read a lot of it myself, but
apparently the latest edition only has a passing mention of SSA and
others don't mention it at all. GCC has a list of books:
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/ListOfCompilerBooks and apparently some of
them are better in that regard. Personally, I learned about a lot of
this stuff through papers. I have a list of them here:

http://cwabbottdev.blogspot.com/2013/06/compiler-theory-links.html

although it may be a little out of date, and some of the things might
have been more useful back when I was working on lima. Suggestions for
adding to the list are very welcome.