[Mesa-dev] ETC2 support with llvmpipe

Roland Scheidegger sroland at vmware.com
Tue Mar 31 13:18:01 PDT 2015

FWIW this works by emulation of these formats - mesa will uncompress
them when specified to some uncompressed format. This means though
there's zero benefit in using them over uncompressed formats (same
memory requirements and performance when texturing, just increased
overhead when specifying the texture). Though of course I guess this
still saves disk space :-).
Unlike etc1, which should work "natively" though as a result is
currently very slow.

Roland