[Mesa-dev] Unused (?) duplicated GLSL IR state in NIR

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 05:35:53 PST 2015

Hi all,

>From a quick look, it seems that NIR copies (almost ?) all the state
from GLSL IR even if it doesn't use it.

The particular piece that I'm thinking about is nir_variable::data.
Afaict this is a remnant from the early days, when the intent was to
kill off the GLSL IR and use NIR directly. If so should we just nuke
it, or (if there is someone working on it) add some comments "Keepme:
WIP work by XXX to use this and kill the glsl IR one".

The (not that distant) GLSL IR memory optimisations by Ian, seems to
have missed NIR. Was that intentional or were those worked upon before
NIR got merged ? Perhaps it's worth porting them over ?

Thanks
Emil