[Mesa-dev] Problems with accuracy of coeffs_init + attribs_update

Oded Gabbay oded.gabbay at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 05:46:01 PST 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:37 PM, Roland Scheidegger <sroland at vmware.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> x86-64 box, the other path will be taken too (and the test fail as well).
>>>
>> makes sense.

>>> Well, I'm not sure what error actually is allowed... GL of course is
>>> vague (the test just seems to be built so the error allowed actually
>>> passes on real hw).
>>>
>>> I don't think there's an actual bug with the code. What it does in
>>> coeffs_init, is simply calculate the dadx + dady values from one pixel
>>> to the next (within a quad).
>>> Then, in attrib_update, it simply uses these values (which are constant
>>> for all quads, as the position of the pixels within a quad doesn't
>>> change) to calculate the actual dadq value based on the actual pixel
>>> offsets, and add that to the (also done in coeffs_init) starting value
>>> of each quad.
>>>
>>> So, the code is correct. However, it still gives different results
>>> compared to the other method, and the reason is just float math. This
>>> method does two interpolations (one for the start of the quad, the other
>>> per pixel), whereas the other method does just one. And this is why the
>>> results are different, because the results just aren't exact.
>>>
>> Yeah, I agree. I also wouldn't say it is a bug per-se, but it is a
>> method of calculation that produces less accurate results then the
>> other method (the simple path).

>>> Some history, initially there actually only was the two-stage path (well
>>> actually it was slightly different as back then the pixel shader wasn't
>>> even executed in a loop but the idea was the same). The one-stage path
>>> was actually done when extending to 256bit vectors (or maybe when
>>> introducing the fs loop, I forgot...) because it was easier to code.
>>> Albeit both paths were fixed to work both with 128bit and 256bit
>>> vectors. And indeed, the reason why one is used over the other is just
>>> performance now (the two-stage approach has a higher initial cost but
>>> lower per-loop cost, so it's faster when the loop is run four times, but
>>> not when it's only run two times).
>>> I was actually just thinking about nuking the two-stage approach
>>> yesterday as it's quite annoying the results are different depending on
>>> the vector size. But IIRC the performance difference was quite
>>> measurable sometimes.
>>>
>> That's what I thought.
>> I'm willing to test the performance on H/W if you can point me to a
>> relevant test.
>> By running glxgears, I can see the FPS drops by about 5 FPS (from 605
>> to 600), when using the simple method.
>> Also, it seemed to me, but I didn't measure it, that running piglit
>> gpu.py was slower by some margin.
> glxgears is a bit _too_ simple...
> Something simple which uses "traditional" mul+add shader (2 interpolated
> attributes, one of them for texture coords) or doing something similarly
> simple might be a good test. gloss demo, or openarena - desktop
> compositors would of course be nice, but I don't think they come with

Hi Roland,
I run a couple of tests on ppc64le machine and my haswell laptop with
LP_NATIVE_VECTOR_WIDTH=128:

- glxspheres, on ppc64le
   - original code:        4.892745317 frames/sec 5.460303857 Mpixels/sec
   - with my change:   4.932083873 frames/sec 5.504205571 Mpixels/sec
   - difference is 0.8% *for* the change

- glxspheres, on x86-64
   - original code:        20.16418809 frames/sec 22.50323395 Mpixels/sec
   - with my change:   20.31328989 frames/sec 22.66963152 Mpixels/sec
   - difference is 0.74% *for* the change

- glmark2, on ppc64le:
  - original code:        score of 58
  - with my change:   score of 57

- glmark2, on x86-64:
  - original code:        score of 175
  - with my change:   score of 167
  - difference of 4.5% *against* the change

- phoronix gui-toolkits (don't know how relevant it is), only on ppc64le
  - very similar results, some tests better with original code, some are worse

Unfortunately, couldn't manage to run OpenArena on my machines with
latest mesa and llvmpipe. Kept getting an error of: "Your system
currently is not capable of hardware accelerated 3D. Therefore
openarena cannot run."

What do you think ?
Are those benchmarks comprehensive enough ?
It seems there is almost no impact on ppc64le, while on x86-64 there
is a minor impact.
If you have something specific I can run, I will be happy to do it.

        Oded