[Mesa-dev] MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE problem

Nanley Chery nanleychery at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:40:27 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:

> Hi Nanley,

Hi Brian,

> Maybe you can fix an issue I have with the new extension code.
>
> Previously, I could do something like export
> MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE="-ARB_clear_buffer_object" and I would no longer
> see it in the GL_EXTENSIONS string, even if it was an "always on" extension.
>
> Now when I try that I get:
>
> Mesa 11.1.0-devel implementation error: Trying to disable permanently
> enabled extensions: GL_ARB_get_texture_sub_image
> Please report at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Mesa
>
> The whole point of the "-GL_EXT_foobar" syntax was to hide an extension
> from the application when it queries the driver's extensions.
>
> Can you please fix this so it works as before?

I have two branches that provide the ability to disable permanently enabled
extensions:
1. The first only modifies the extension strings and is located here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~nchery/mesa/commit/?h=mod_always_on
2. The second modifies the extension strings and disables the extension
within the driver (assuming appropriate the helper function is used). It
also provides some performance benefits. :
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~nchery/mesa/commit/?h=init_ext_vals

I'd appreciate any feedback on the two approaches as I work to get the
feature upstreamed.

Regards,
Nanley