[Mesa-dev] Adaptive Vsync

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 06:11:50 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 4:28 AM, Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 23:29:05 +0000
> Albert Freeman <albertwdfreeman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The reply from Eric Anholt made two suggestions that should not be
>> difficult to implement for someone who made the patch in the first
>> place. Why would code be committed when improvements could be easily
>> made? From what I have seen, this kind of thing happens even to
>> experienced mesa developers who know exactly what they are doing.
>>
>> It is much better to arrive at a solution without the issue now than
>> wait a few years (or some other period of time) for it to be replaced
>> by someone who has likely forgotten the details involved with its
>> implementation (or by someone who did not write the code in the first
>> place).
>
> Oh, absolutely - I had no issues with "this needs changing". My issue
> was with the fact it took months to get that. Had I come up with a new
> patch, it would likely have taken a similar time, months again, which
> did not inspire confidence.

You need to drive it.  Developers are busy and can miss patches
especially if the subject is not necessarily an area they are familiar
with.  This is not specific to mesa; the same is true about just about
any open source project.  If you don't get any feedback right away
send a gentle reminder to the list asking if there are any objections
stating your desire to get it committed.  Wait a bit more time and if
there is still no feedback, feel free to commit or ask someone to
commit it.  If you just drive by and dump patches with no follow up,
we have no idea how serious about the patches you are. Were they just
an RFC, did you really want to commit them?  If you don't follow up on
them, developers assume you don't really care about getting them
committed.

Alex