[Mesa-dev] Question: st/mesa and context-shareable shaders

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:43:39 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> On 28/09/15 21:21, Marek Olšák wrote:

>>> If you're aware but didn't think worth mention, then you clearly are
>>> underestimating the issue.
>>>
>>> Multi-threading is never easy.  I think it's worth for you to open your
>>> mind
>>> and think things through more thoroughly.
>>

>> I thought about it very thoroughly and I'm quite sure about it. See below.

>>> I don't see how that can work.
>>>
>>> You need to lock, not only when adding variants, but _all_ accesses,
>>> including traversing the variants to search for the right one.
>>>
>>> That is, _every_ time you need to search for a variant in the screen
>>> shader,
>>> you'll need to lock the shader.  If you don't, a different thread might
>>> write to the variant list/hashtable exactly at the same time you're
>>> traversing it, invalidating the pointers you're using to iterate over the
>>> variants.
>>>
>>> In other words, you'll be locking mutexes on pretty much every draw
>>> call...
>>>
>>> Personally I think that's a poor design.  I don't know how much is the
>>> mutex
>>> lock overhead is in practice nowadays, but doing it per draw seems bad,
>>> because it could all be avoided with a better design.
>>

>> No, I don't need the lock while traversing the variants. I don't use a
>> hash table or a linked list from util. Our shader state has a pointer
>> to the first shader variant. The variant itself has a pointer to the
>> next variant. As long as I keep an atomic counter containing the
>> number of variants, I will only have to traverse that number of
>> variants. The variants itself are immutable. The list itself is
>> immutable except for the "next" pointer in the last variant, which I
>> will never access without the lock, because the atomic counter tells
>> me how many I have.
>>
>> If the driver doesn't find the variant in the list, it will have to
>> acquire the lock, search the list again (see "double-checked locking
>> optimization"), if it still can't find it, then it will compile a new
>> variant and add it to the list. Then unlock.
>>
>> This is fairly lockless except for the compilation and even during the
>> compilation, it remains lockless for contexts that only use
>> already-compiled variants.
>>
>> However, I do understand that using a more complicated list or hash
>> table for the variants requires locking everywhere.
>

> I see.  Reads would be lock-free, but at the expense that variants could
> only be added -- never removed --, right?

Yes, that's right. If drivers only keep final bytecode and shader keys
in memory, the memory footprint should be pretty low.

> Maybe that's perfectly acceptable on most cases, but I wonder if it is
> acceptable in all cases.  Like embedded systems, or when the app is running
> some untrusted code like WebGL implementations.
>
> I still feel that a design that forces drivers down this very narrow path is
> inferior.

We are already forced by OpenGL if we want to compile shaders from
GLSL to native bytecode without shader variants at link time. The
dependency on the context makes that more difficult and Unreal Engine
4 always uses 2 contexts for some reason already.

>>> I disagree with your option 1).  But if you're still determined, by all
>>> means, do option 2).  I think you'll regret it though: down the road
>>> you'll
>>> be either struggling with multi-thread correctness or performance.

>>> Maybe I didn't explain.  State tracker can't choose between 1) and 2) --
>>> it
>>> needs to create both.
>>>
>>> That is,
>>> - state tracker would create a screen-shader from TGSI tokens (one for
>>> the
>>> whole share group)
>>> - then create a context-shader from the screen-shader, one for each
>>> context
>>> that shader is used by (so drivers can attach the variants to the
>>> per-context shaders without locking)
>>

>> It's probably better and easier to generate TGSI in glLinkProgram,
>> release the GLSL IR, and patch TGSI manually based on the shader key.
>> This would eliminate most of the compilation overhead in st/mesa and
>> it would be a good cleanup in general.
>

> You're talking about the Mesa shader variants (1 GLSL -> N TGSI), while I'm
> talking about the pipe shader variants (1 TGSI -> N HW-specific machine
> code).
>
> I already tried to explain this twice, yet you still make comments that show
> my message didn't get across.  I don't know how else to explain this.  Rob
> appears to have understood.  If you were serious when you asked what others
> thought could you please read what I proposed with an open mind?

Oh, I get it know. I somehow misunderstood that. Your idea is
interesting, though it's not useful for our driver, because we plan to
get rid of shader variants entirely and have only one shader for each
GLSL shader. This doesn't include DrawPixels and Bitmap shaders and
passing through edgeflags, which will need separate variants and
on-demand compilation, but we plan to compile everything else at link
time.

This thread is just about one of the state dependencies that we need
to get rid of for our driver at least. See my XDC talk or slides:
http://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2015/Program/olsak_handling_shader_recompile.pdf

Marek