[Mesa-dev] Merging the Vulkan driver

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Tue Apr 5 19:30:32 UTC 2016

All,

We are getting very close to being able to merge the Vulkan driver into
mesa master.  I've got around 30 patches on the mailing list that are still
awaiting review.  Once those get merged, the diff between the "vulkan" and
"master" branches is basically zero except for adding new files.  The going
plan is to get the diff between the two branches down to zero except for
the new "src/intel" directory and minimal build system changes and then do
an actual git merge.  I know we don't usually do merges in this project,
but the Vulkan driver is big and has a lot of history that we would like to
preserve.  If you're strongly opposed to doing a merge, please speak up now!

Things that still need review:

 1) i965 back-end patches for indirect push constants
 2) i965 and NIR patches to add a couple new opcodes
 3) Misc i965 and NIR patches we've been carrying around in the vulkan
branch for a while
 4) A patch to configure.ac to add new flags for building Vulkan drivers
(mostly written, not yet sent).

Those will all undergo the normal review process and get pushed *before* we
merge.  That way the only thing the merge does is add a new directory and a
three or four lines each to configure.ac and src/Makefile.am.

If people step up with code review, I'm hoping that we can merge some time
this week or next.

--Jason Ekstrand