[Mesa-dev] Why is www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests/ so "complicated"?

0xe2.0x9a.0x9b at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 15:58:58 UTC 2016

Hello

I would like to make a few comments about wiki pages such as
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests/

At first glance, the wiki page feels very old-school. That isn't a major
problem by itself, because retro-things can have their own distinct
quality. Unfortunately, I do not see the old-school style of the wiki page
as a quality.

Secondly, the content of the wiki page feels overly bureaucratic to me. Not
in absolute sense, but in relative sense: when compared to services such as
github.com, the freedesktop.org wiki page feels like a nice example of
excessive bureaucracy. Why does the wiki page use so many words to describe
how to make an account request (in year 2016)?

I wouldn't care about the content of the wiki page at all if there existed
an alternative web page that would make the process of creating an account
request simpler. "Simpler" web page in my opinion means a web form with
just a few fields, a single button and several sentences of text. Many
account registration web pages around the world look like that, because it
is less time consuming and therefore more efficient/productive.

What is the logic/rationale explaining the content of
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests/? I am unable to find an
explanation for it.

-atomsymbol