[Mesa-dev] [android-x86-devel] [RFC 0/7] android: enable llvmpipe for software rendering

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 15:28:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chih-Wei,
>
> Thanks for getting these out to the community.
>
> On 28 April 2016 at 08:34, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhuang at android-x86.org> wrote:
>> This is a series of patches developed by Jide Technolody to enable
>> the llvmpipe for software rendering of Android.
>> It makes a device without a Mesa supported GPU could run most modern
>> Android apps.
>>
> Afaict one should only need the extra Android.mk files to get llvmpipe
> considering that softpipe already works.
> Have you/the Jide folks tried the latter already ? Does it work
> without these patches ?
>
>> These patches are mainly developed and tested on the 11.0 and 11.2
>> branches. They might not work with the Mesa master branch.
>>
> Humble request - please always aim for master. Doing this will get you
> the latest stable branch for free.
> If you're targeting some old stable branch then you'll will have to
> duplicate the effort to land things in master. And new functionality
> goes _only_ in master
>
>> The patches depend on some patches developed by Varad Gautam which
>> have not been merged in Mesa master yet, say
>>
>> fc40946 egl: fixup: define droid_image_loader_extension
>> d15901d egl: android: populate dri2_surf->window early

This one we have confirmed is not needed for sure.

>> cff1928 egl: android: use __DRI_IMAGE_LOADER to get color buffers
>> b556be4 egl: android: experimental dma-buf fd support
>>
>> The dependency may be removed but we haven't tested that yet.
>>
> Afaict none of Varad's work should be required here. It adds an
> alternative (better) method of the already existing functionality.

For an Android-x86 build, that should be true. That requires using the
older drm_gralloc implementation that works on the card node (and does
KMS) rather than the render node. For my setup, I don't think it works
to use GEM handles.

> Related: iirc things have gone wrong during the rebase of Varad's work
> in Android-x86. Rob H recently sent some patches (based of Android-x86
> ?) which has some strange/extra code in them.

Based originally on Android-x86 as that was what Varad based his work
on, but the strangeness was both in Varad's original work or I
introduced it. Should have a new version out soon.

Rob