[Mesa-dev] cairo as state tracker

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult enrico.weigelt at gr13.net
Fri Aug 5 04:48:40 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I'd like to get the cairo's gallium backend running again (hasn't been
maintained for a long time and doesn't fit at all to recent mesa).

The main problem I've got here is that gallium API is mesa-internal,
so I'd like to do some steps on making it (semi-)public. I'm aware that
it's still in flux, so we'll have an strict version dependency for
quite some time - but I can live with that for now.

I haven't yet understood, how to the different pieces work together,
so any help is greatly appreciated.

Let's start w/ a simple DRM usecase (no X involved). The big steps
would IMHO be:
#1: open the DRM device, setup fb and crtc
#2: map a framebuffer (in the first steps I'd like to use cairo's
    image surface - IOW: softraster - and later move to gallium
    operations step by step)
#2: initialize the GPU driver
#3: start sending some render commands to the GPU.

Maybe someone could give me some hints on how these things actually
could look like ?

--mtx