[Mesa-dev] cairo as state tracker

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 17:46:20 UTC 2016

On 6 August 2016 at 15:59, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
<enrico.weigelt at gr13.net> wrote:
> On 06.08.2016 13:16, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:
>
>> Well, in your first mail it sounded like you wanted to stabilize the
>> Gallium API itself.
>
> Not actually stabilizing, but making it semi-public. (at dist level in
> an separate package). Of course, external state trackers need to built
> to the right gallium versions, but that can be handled at dist level.

Regardless of the naming - the intent and (mesa-dev) answer is clear.

You mentioned "cairo's gallium backend running again". Can you point
to the said code ?

>> So to clarify, if you add a state tracker whose code lives in the Mesa
>> repository,
>
> I do not. I intent to build an cairo device backend directly ontop of
> gallium. And yes: I know that the API is in flux therefore the cairo
> backend needs to be kept up-to-date.

Can you elaborate why you're thinking against having the cairo
state-tracker in mesa ? Why not keep in within - even if that means
the occasional rebase, onto newer mesa.

Thanks
Emil