[Mesa-dev] oldest gcc version to support ?

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 17:52:26 UTC 2016

On 4 August 2016 at 22:27, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
<enrico.weigelt at gr13.net> wrote:
> On 04.08.2016 17:10, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> The BSDs are still stuck at 4.2+patches for licensing reasons and they
>> use Mesa for graphics.  I think at some point, they'll get clang in core
>> and they can start building with that. There are ancient RHEL versions
>> where the GCC version is so old that they build a newer GCC just so they
>> can build Mesa.  One of these days, we'll move past GCC 4.2 but for now
>> it's not too much of a burden to keep it working.
>
> I'd guess they're using autoconf, correct ?

Correct - all the *nix (Cygwin, BSD, Darwin, Solaris and Linux) are
using autoconf.
Scons is Windows (mingw and msvc) while Android is ... Android.

> The stuff I'm talking about is just for scons builds, which AFAIK is
> only for win32 / msvc. (see c99_compat.h)

The c99_compat.h file is used by all builds. Bumping the scons GCC
requirement won't save much (if any) code, so why bother ?

Thanks
Emil