[Mesa-dev] Potentially EOL ilo gallium driver

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Tue Dec 6 19:11:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 6 December 2016 at 03:16, Edward O'Callaghan
> > <funfunctor at folklore1984.net> wrote:
> >> This patch is to potentially remove ourself from the maintaince
> >> burden of the ilo driver that appears to now be essentially
> >> unmaintained?
> >>
> >> I am not sure of our policy here or if there are too many
> >> users so this patch is really only to gauge a response of
> >> how folks feel?
> >>
> > Surely you want to CC the core/sole developer of the driver when
> > considering its removal.
> > Maybe mailman was "nice" and hid his email in the header ;-)
> >
> > Either way adding Chia-I Wu to the list.
> >
> > -Emil
> > P.S. Not sure/sold how much of an actual burden the driver is, yet I
> > don't make serious gallium infra changes.
>
> really hasn't been a problem for me..
>
> That said, it would be nice if someday someone wired this up to use
> glsl_to_nir path in gallium and re-used i965's nir backend.  I think
> that would make ilo somewhat more interesting..

We had a bit of a chat about this on IRC and what I told Ilia there was
that the more interesting thing to do, if someone really wanted to do Intel
on gallium, would probably be to build a new driver based on ISL, blorp,
the i965 compiler, NIR, and genxml.  We've made a pretty good
driver-building toolbox.  Having an almost unmaintained driver that has
it's own hand-rolled and inferrior compiler, surface layout, etc. isn't
doing much good.