[Mesa-dev] radv vs vulkan loader

Gustaw Smolarczyk wielkiegie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 17:12:28 UTC 2016

> On 16 December 2016 at 15:27, Gustaw Smolarczyk <wielkiegie at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Pardon for missing your reply here.
>>>
>>> In general I agree that one shouldn't link with libraries which they don't
>>> need.
>>>
>>> At the same time:
>>>  - a library is should tear down all the state that it sets up.
>>> Afaict the LLVM module sets it up "asan-instrument-assembly" thus it
>>> is the one responsible to unregister it.
>>

>> Yes, I also think this should be really fixed in LLVM. There is however an
>> easy work-around for mesa that I have posted a few days ago [1].
>>

>>>  - Split shared LLVM wasn't a supported/recommended//good idea, last
>>> time I've heard.
>>

>> This is how llvm is built on gentoo by default [2]. Because of that it
>> possibly affects all gentoo users.
>>

>>> Please use single LLVM shared lib or [separate] static LLVM libs.
>>

>> I will check what happens when I dlopen/dlclose/dlopen both separate and
>> monolithic shared LLVM libraries.
>>
> Based of git log, I cannot see any justification/information why would
> anyone want to enable SHARED_LIBS.
> To take this even more fun with ~3.7 series gentoo carries patch
> (backport?) which adds the functionality in the first place.
>
> Seems like devs have missed the warning/notice message [1] that the
> option is for LLVM developers ?
>
> I see your point and concern esp. how trivial the workaround on mesa side it.
> At the same time this is not something one should be using/doing in
> the first place, because of the reason(s) you're noticed.
>
> Thanks
> Emil
>
> [1] http://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html

I am not entirely sure why, but the problem doesn't occur for me
anymore. However I suspect that it happens because I have reverted
from amdgpu.ko to radeon.ko kernel module (was buggy on SI hardware)
and as such am unable to properly test vulkan anymore. The
vulkan_radeon.so ICD is still being loaded but it doesn't list any
possible physical device (as expected).

It did however load successfully without the strange LLVM argument
registration issues, even though I can see that the ICD was dlopened 3
times... Not sure it is fixed (possibly on the LLVM side) or it only
manifests if the ICD lists at least a single physical device.

I might try to build the 4.9 kernel soon and then will revisit it once again.

Regards,
Gustaw