[Mesa-dev] New GBM backend for dEQP

Chad Versace chadversary at chromium.org
Tue Dec 20 19:10:03 UTC 2016

On Mon 19 Dec 2016, Tapani Pälli wrote:

> On 12/17/2016 03:58 AM, Chad Versace wrote:
> > Happy Christmas to everyone who's busy squashing dEQP bugs.
> >
> > I wrote a new GBM backend for dEQP. I even submitted it to dEQP's
> > upstream Gerrit.  Pyry, dEQP's maintainer, told me over beer earlier
> > this year that he would accept it if I submitted it, and if it wasn't
> > too crazy. So, maybe it'll be upstream soon.
> >
> > If you want to try it out, you can either fetch the patch from Gerrit:
> >     $ git fetch https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/deqp refs/changes/43/315743/1
> >
> > View it on Gerrit:
> >     https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/315743/
> >
> > Fetch from personal my work-in-progress branch:
> >     $ git fetch git://git.kiwitree.net/~chadv/deqp refs/heads/wip/gbm
> >
> > View it on my cgit:
> >     http://git.kiwitree.net/cgit/~chadv/deqp/log/?h=wip/gbm
> >
> > GBM today does not support pixmaps nor pbuffers (eglCreatePixmapSurface
> > and eglCreatePbufferSurface), so the dEQP test coverage with GBM does
> > not have parity with X11. But, on the other hand, you get to run dEQP
> > without the headache of X11.
> >
> > There's probably bugs. No surprises there.
>
> Branch did not work 'out of the box' for me:
>
> "No rule to make target 'framework/qphelper/.git/index', needed by
> 'framework/qphelper/qpReleaseInfo.inl'.  Stop."
>
> (attached patch makes it work for me)

Strange. This may be related to a separate fix I submitted to dEQP
upstream:

    Subject: Fix build when '.git' is a gitfile
    https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/315234/

> One issue is that real users will use X11, Wayland or Android. Would be cool
> to have a 'switch' to toggle CI to use a particular backend so that most of
> the time we would run against gbm but then sometimes check that X11 still
> works etc.

Yes. I expect full test runs to be faster with GBM than with X11. If
that's true, then CI should default to running dEQP with GBM. And CI
should occasionally do a run with X11 to ensure there's no regressions,
and to also run any pbuffer and pixmap tests that get skipped on the
GBM run.