[Mesa-dev] Seeking advice on implementing KHR_no_error

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 29 23:48:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Thomas Helland
<thomashelland90 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apart from that it's basically a case of looking at a patch series implementing
> some other fairly trivial extension to get an idea of what needs changing apart
> from the functionality of the extension itself.

There are a few ways to implement the ext. You could have the trivial
implementation which just makes it not report errors. However there's
a bunch of validation that gets done in various cases, which can be
costly. I believe the point of the extension is to get rid of that
extra costly validation.

You're going to have to track down the specifics, but one thing that
comes off the top of my head is the validation that's done for ES
interface matching. There's probably 30 other things too though, that
one is just one that I happen to remember at this moment. I think
sampler/texture validation is another, probably stuff with uniforms,
etc.

So the idea would be for those validation functions to just do if
(ctxflags & NO_ERROR) { return; } somewhere near the top. (For
example.)

Cheers,

  -ilia

[P.S. Just read Tim's reply, sounds like we're talking about similar things.]