[Mesa-dev] GLSL IR is no longer cool where to from here?

Timothy Arceri timothy.arceri at collabora.com
Sat Feb 6 02:57:52 UTC 2016

For the past couple of months I've been working away solely in the
wasteland that is GLSL IR and one things seems clear. No one wants to
review this code anymore. A lot of the original developers have either
moved on or are busy with other things.

The difference between sending a patch with nir: ... vs glsl: ... is
very noticable.

Its not impossible to get reviews for patches, especially if they are a
small part of a bigger series not just confined to GLSL IR, but
anything involving a refactoring can be difficult as no-one wants to
relearn how this code works, step up to the ast code and things are
even worse.

So I guess the discussion I'm trying to kick off is, with the CTS, dEPQ
and piglit all saying no regressions (or even reporting fixes \0/).
Should one still be forced to go around hassling people for a rubber
stamped r-b? Or can we relax the criteria for pushing bug-fix/refactor
type patches for GLSL-IR?

The other thing I've consider is maybe this I just don't review enough
patches for people to reciprocate, although I've made an effort to
review patches where I feel I can since being employed to work on Mesa
so hopefully thats not it. Maybe it's time for Ken to run his script
again :-P

Tim