[Mesa-dev] ANNOUNCE: An open-source Vulkan driver for Intel hardware

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Wed Feb 17 15:31:09 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:22 PM, Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com>
wrote:

> I'm actually interested about how one goes about debugging that kind
> of problem, if you have pointers.  I would have an idea or two on how
> to go about it if it was in userspace only, but once it crosses into
> the kernel I'm not sure what strategies are best.

This is almost certainly a userspace problem.  I mentioned before that
it's probably a depth/stencil problem.  I remember having similar problems
a few months ago when I was reviving gen7.  I know that depth/stencil did
work at some point.

I would start by looking at is where we emit the 3DSTATE_DEPTH_BUFFER and
3DSTATE_STENCIL_BUFFER and trying to see if we're setting something up
wrong.  Sometimes it's just a matter of looking at the documentation and
comparing the values we're setting to the docs and seeing if the make
sense.  That's where I'd start.

You could also try to go back a little ways (don't to past the update to
1.0) to see if you can find a point where depth/stencil worked and try and
bisect to find where it broke.  That may also provide hints as to what's
going wrong.

Hope that helps,
--Jason