[Mesa-dev] abundance of branches in mesa.git

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 01:36:47 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2016 1:19 PM, "Rob Clark" <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> fwiw, I think a *small* number of topic branches in certain cases
>> makes sense..  I'm definitely in support of a TTL limit (ie.
>> automatically nuke topic branches with no activity in N months, or
>> similar..)
>
> I agree. Sometimes something big comes up that's not ready for merging such
> as amdgpu or our recently pushed Vulkan driver.  However, those should only
> be temporary and removed once the work is complete.  I saw a "broadwell"
> branch in there which is probably at least 2 years old and completely
> subsumed by master.  We don't want to be archiving random junk in the main
> tree.
>
> I'd be fine with a timeout system where non-release branches get the boot
> after a certain amount inactivity. If you want to archive something, that's
> what personal git repos are for.

fwiw, I would totally ack a plan to automatically delete inactive
topic branches after N months of inactivity (where I'd be fine with
N==2 or even as high as N==12 but I think you'd have a hard time
convincing me for N>12)

Bonus points if someone wanted to archive old branches somewhere.. but
I don't care strongly about that..

BR,
-R