[Mesa-dev] Add gperf as a build dependency?

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:00:32 UTC 2016

On 30 June 2016 at 19:50, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> On 30/06/16 18:13, Ian Romanick wrote:
>>
>> I think I might want to use gperf for something in Mesa, but I'm not
>> 100% sure yet.  Before I proceed, is it even acceptable to add that as a
>> build dependency?
>

> I presume C code generated by gperf is freely usable and it's not subject to
> GPL, right?  (I couldn't find any explicit mention of that in the docs.)

Your assumption is spot on. Here's a slightly more authoritative reference.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gperf/manual/gperf.html#Output-Copyright

> It looks like the source code builds for Windows with MSVC.  So while it
> will be a bit of a hassle to get it added to our build toolchain, that's not
> a blocker.

Shame the https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/ hasn't been
updated in a long time.

On the topic in question - we should be fine with it. All Linux and
most/all BSDs distros ship the tool, plus we'll only use it to
generate sources when working with git checkouts.

-Emil