[Mesa-dev] Required Mako version? (WAS: mesa from git fails to compile)

Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez siglesias at igalia.com
Fri Jul 15 05:23:42 UTC 2016

On 14/07/16 18:34, Eric Engestrom wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 04:01:13PM +0100, Eric Engestrom wrote:
>> Oh right, there's already check for the Mako version, but the minimum is
>> currently set to 0.3.4 (configure.ac:92).
>>
>> Emil, you were the one to mention 0.8.0; is that the actual minimum, or
>> just a known working version?
>
> OK, so I did a bit of digging, and the version check was introduced by
> Samuel Iglesias Gonsalvez a couple years ago (2b37bea0) at 0.7.3, and
> he later lowered it to 0.3.4 (6d43a4c3), but I can't find any discussion
> regarding this change: it seems there was none on the mailing list [0].
>
> Adding Samuel so he can enlighten us :)
>
> [0] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2015-January/074366.html

There was a discussion in the mailing list. Just after I pushed this
patch to master [0] setting it to 0.7.3 (because that was the version I
had back then), Dave Airlie mentioned that RHEL6 only ships mako 0.3.4
[1] and asked if we really need a later version or not. We did some
tests [2][3] and finally this patch [4] was pushed upstream.

I don't know if we need some feature from mako 0.8.0 to generate
isl_format_layout because this file was added later than my change,
probably Emil knows it.

Sam

[0] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2015-January/074000.html
[1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2015-January/074283.html