[Mesa-dev] Ramifications of software development with respect to climate change

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:38:13 UTC 2016

On 02.11.2016 08:59, Edward O'Callaghan wrote:
> This maybe somewhat of a striking topic however it is one that has not
> really had enough attention, I feel, in a way that warrants the gravity
> of if ramifications. Thus, I really would like to kick this discussion
> into hopefully something serious and creditable that we can all think
> about. Also, please excuse the generality of this initial attempt as
> this will probably sound border line crazy talk..

Yes. :-p

> As developers we spend essentially the totality of a focus on - in
> pretty much in following order of priority:
>
> i.) features,
> ii.) performance,
> iii.) bug fixes.
>
> However we spend no serious mental energy on how our software preforms
> regarding the environmental impact. Now, while it is true we do think a
> little about battery life and also performance, this isn't usually our
> highest of priorities and is somewhat an indirect method of solving the
> problem. I can't think of too many examples where we have actually gone
> really out our way to think about this problem and come up with tools to
> address it, apart from perhaps powertop.

As nice as powertop may be, the real way to go here is to make it
unnecessary, by implementing good defaults.

Also, what's the impact of the energy consumption of a CPU/GPU over its
lifetime vs. the impact of the production and waste disposal?

I'd expect the (potential) impact of the driver software to be
comparatively small in the grand scheme of things. To the extent that it
matters, battery life and performance already provide good forcing
functions.

The transmission mechanism through which software probably matters most
here is that the overall suckage of it (hello, JavaScript websites and
ads) encourages people to buy new hardware sooner than might otherwise
be necessary.

Cheers,
Nicolai