[Mesa-dev] Stable release process

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:56:10 UTC 2016

On 18 November 2016 at 12:34, Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That's all nice, but it's mostly irrelevant to what I was saying.
>>>
>>> We need Patchwork for mesa-stable, so that patches don't get lost.
>>>
>> Ok let me be perfectly clear.
>>
>> Nearly all the missed patches (many of those sent by you) do _not_
>> follow the -stable submission rules. I've been polite and picked those
>> _despite_ that fact and yes some have been missed.
>> Regardless of patchwork I would _strongly_ suggest that you stay
>> consistent (you do it right most of the time) and nominate patches
>> properly!
>
> The last one was nominated properly, and ignored.
As mentioned in private that was due to bug on my end as I was working
on improving the workflow.
Please don't everything under the same nominator.

>> Speaking of patchwork, mostly I'm fine with it. There are some
>> "drawbacks" though:
>>  - some duplicated time will be spent tagging "self-rejected" patches.
>> I already track these based from the mailing list.
>>  - it doesn't parse "Pick commit $sha, it addresses $issue"
>> nominations, so it cannot substitute/replace the mailing list.
>> In case my first point brought some "don't bother with the ML" type of thoughts.
>>  - you don't seem to be using it [1] so I'm not sure of the sudden interest.
>
> Patchwork can't clear any of my patches on git push. That's normal. I
> do use Patchwork for reviewing patches though.

Seems to work fairly well here. Admittedly I have way less (and
smaller) patches...

Please elaborate a bit on "We need Patchwork for mesa-stable, so that
patches don't get lost."
How you plan to use it to track/other. Can we get a clear
idea/understanding your workflow/expectations so that things work
better for all of us ?

Thanks
Emil