[Mesa-dev] Proposal of date-based Mesa versioning for 2017

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 11:56:54 UTC 2016

On 01.10.2016 22:22, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
> On 01.10.2016 21:46, Marek Olšák wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I propose that we use versioning in the form of "year.quarter".
>>
>> 2017 would start with 17.0, then 17.1, 17.2, 17.3 for following
>> quarters of the year, respectively.
>> 2018 would start with 18.0, then 18.1, 18.2, 18.3.
>>
>> The motivation is that you can easily tell when a specific Mesa
>> version was released with an accuracy of 3 months.
>>
>> That's the only scheme that seems practical to me. Everything else
>> seems arbitrary or random.
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> Why not just use year.month instead, would be more accurate...and
> releases happen semi random anyway and not after a given time.

That's fine for something like Ubuntu where they really stick to their
two releases per year, in the same months each year. I'm not so sure
that that's a realistic goal for Mesa, and if releases *aren't*
consistently happening in the same months, you end up introducing a lot
of confusion about which version numbers exist and which don't.

Time-based with YY.0 for the first release of the year, and then YY.1,
YY.2, etc. works fine.

Cheers,
Nicolai