[Mesa-dev] Mesa (master): glsl: Immediately inline built-ins rather than generating calls.

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Tue Oct 18 23:50:15 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:38:17 PM PDT Brian Paul wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> I found that this patch causes a regression.  There's a Windows medical
> app which fails to link some shaders since this change.
>
> Basically, when the gl_Position VS input is declared as invariant the
> linker fails with:
>
> error: declarations for uniform `gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix' have
> mismatching invariant qualifiers
>
> I haven't investigated how to fix this.  I'm hoping you can see a simple
> fix.
>
> The attached piglit shader_runner script demonstrates the issue.  Passes
> w/ NVIDIA.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Brian

Oh, sorry about that!  Here are two possible fixes:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~kwg/mesa/commit/?h=invariant-fix
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~kwg/mesa/commit/?h=invariant-fix-2

They're both kind of hacks...but the whole invariant propagation pass
is kind of a hack, and we've got some other hacks in place already.
So...maybe best to pile another one on.  Not sure which though.

Maybe Jason or Curro will have an opinion...

--Ken