[Mesa-dev] [RFC] mesa: drop current draw/read buffer when ctx is released

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 14:58:44 UTC 2016

On 28 October 2016 at 15:33, Rob Herring <robh at kernel.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I suppose it is possible that it is triggered by something different
>>> that mesa/st does vs dri/i965?  Although I find it odd that
>>> dri2_make_current() would drop the reference to the EGLSurface when
>>> unbinding ctx, but _mesa_make_current() would not drop the reference
>>> to the corresponding gl_framebuffer.
>>>
>> Precisely my line of thinking as well. Both egl and glx drop the
>> reference to the objects on !newCtx.
>>
>> From a quick look the only place where we unref.
>> WinSysDrawBuffer/WinSysReadBuffer is in _mesa_free_context_data which
>> happens on ctx teardown. Which sounds incomplete -  so I'm a bit
>> curious why/how that i965 works fine.
>>
>>> Maybe the classic driver is holding an extra reference to the
>>> EGLSurface so the _eglPutSurface() call in dri2_make_current() does
>>> not actually drop the last refcnt?  Which would ensure when the window
>>> surface is created it ends up with a different address..
>>>
>>> but, I wonder if you could try w/ Rob Herring's tree.. this is what we
>>> are using for the upstream kernel + AOSP builds[1]:
>>>
>>>   https://github.com/robherring/mesa/commits/android-m
>>>
>>> I guess in theory we should both need the same patches on top of
>>> mesa..  although also I guess we should also just try to get to the
>>> point where we can both use upstream mesa tree directly.
>>>
>> Indeed. Skimming through the android-ia log - can borrow
>> ENABLE_FLINK_SUPPORT and let drm/gbm gralloc have a static inline
>> helpers gralloc_drm_get_gem_handle/gralloc_drm_get_prime_fd.
>> Thus everyone can polish their gralloc (if interested?) while still
>> having something that works across the board. With similar direction
>> on the GRALLOC_MODULE_PERFORM_GET_DRM_FD front ?
>
> It's all related. If we use dma-buf fds, then we use the render node
> instead of card node and don't need private gralloc access. We just
> assume if the buffer handle has an fd that the 1st fd is the dma-buf.

Point I was [trying to] make is that this is very iffy way to pick
render node device. Afaict every kernel nowadays has at least two -
vgem and the hw one (i915,nouveau).

Although far from ideal, the DRM_FD allows you to keep the heuristics
(shared device in drm_gralloc case and pick a random one* for
gbm_gralloc). That is, until liballoc comes about and we could nuke
most/all of that stuff into orbit ;-)

* Just do some basic probing/test on the device (/me is pitching for
drmDevice, but anything will do). Not to mention that one can override
the heuristics - be that device, drm module or the exact render node
name via the standard Android property_get().

-Emil