[Mesa-dev] Problem with RX 480 on Alien: Isolation and Dota 2

Romain Failliot romain.failliot at foolstep.com
Tue Sep 13 12:12:18 UTC 2016

Thanks all for your answers!

> Yeah you need LLVM 3.9 not just for this game, but also for many other
> games to work correctly. It's due to the fact that some games require
> GL 4.3, which is only supported with LLVM 3.9. Some games don't even
> report an error when they don't get GL 4.3, they just run broken.
> (like Alien Isolation)

As I can see, LLVM 3.9 is quite young (September 2nd, 2016), that's
why Fedora 24 still doesn't have it in their stable package (and it's not
even in test in Bodhi). I'll try to compile my own LLVM as Edward advised.

> > Also I tried Dota 2 (which was working on my old HD 6870) and there the
> > textures are perfect, but the top bar is always visible and it creates an
> > offset in the input (notice that the bottom of the screen is cropped):
> > https://framapic.org/6vMPXK5y1tWu/hRcANfUysTdD.png
>
> This is unrelated to the graphics driver. The driver has no control
> over what the window manager does.

I also tend to think it's on the window manager side, but it worked 20
minutes before and the only thing I changed is the GPU (and thus the gpu
drivers), that's why I thought it may have a link with the drivers more than
the WM. But maybe GNOME is using different GL extensions depending
on what the graphics card can do.

--
Romain