[Mesa-dev] [RFC] EGL_MESA_platform_surfaceless

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:50:29 UTC 2016

On 23 September 2016 at 09:24, Chad Versace <chadversary at chromium.org> wrote:
> Mesa's EGL has supported Chrome OS's "surfaceless" platform for many
> months, but the behavior of that platform has never been documented.
> Here's my attempt to fix that.
>
> I wrote this as a patch to Mesa, but I intend to remove the copy in Mesa
> after it enters the Khronos registry.
>
> Here's my plan:
>     1. Get feedback. Does this spec look reasonable to everyone?
>     2. Commit extension spec to Mesa.
>     3. Implement the spec (a tiny amount of code).
>     4. Let it bake.
>     5. Submit spec to Khronos registry.
>     6. Delete Mesa's copy of the spec.
>     7. Update Chrome to use eglGetPlatformDisplay(EGL_PLATFORM_SURFACELESS_MESA, ...).

The above sounds like a plan to me. I really like the explicit text
about the relation with the actual (present or not) winsys layer.

There's nothing specific in the spec that needs addressing just a
couple maybe nice ideas:
 - Consider exposing the extension on EGL_EXT_client_extensions +
EGL_EXT_platform_base aware implementations
 - Worth adding a small example alike the other extension - x11, gbm...

Regards,
Emil