[Mesa-dev] Next Mesa release, anyone?

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 29 15:27:18 UTC 2016

On 29.09.2016 18:10, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2016 11:44 PM, "Timo Aaltonen" <tjaalton at ubuntu.com
> <mailto:tjaalton at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 28.09.2016 21:53, Marek Olšák wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > It's been almost 4 months since the 12.0 branch was created, and soon
>> > it will have been 3 months since Mesa 12.0 was released.
>> >
>> > Is there any reason we haven't created the stable branch yet?
>> >
>> > Ideally, we would time the release so that it's 1-2 months before fall
>> > distribution releases.
>>
>> Yep, 12.0 got delayed and 12.1 seems to follow the same path, and it's
>> too late for Ubuntu 16.10 already which will ship with 12.0.3.
>
> In order to avoid this problem in the future, when is the latest we can
> release such that you can pick it up?

The Ubuntu feature-freeze date tends to be around mid-February/August,
but freeze exceptions are allowed. So having rc1 roughly around FF would
be fine. Then the actual .0 release a few weeks later is not a problem,
and there would still be time to squeeze in a bugfix release or two
before the distro release late April/October.