[Mesa-dev] Mesa 12.1.0 release plan (Was Re: Next Mesa release, anyone?)

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 01:31:08 UTC 2016

On 30 September 2016 at 01:07, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2016 7:56 AM, "Emil Velikov" <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 28 September 2016 at 19:53, Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > It's been almost 4 months since the 12.0 branch was created, and soon
>> > it will have been 3 months since Mesa 12.0 was released.
>> >
>> > Is there any reason we haven't created the stable branch yet?
>> >
>> > Ideally, we would time the release so that it's 1-2 months before fall
>> > distribution releases.
>> >

>> Thanks Marek !
>>
>> In all honesty I was secretly hoping that we'll get Dave/Bas RADV for
>> 12.1. With the topic of which would be 'the default' Vulkan driver for
>> ATI/AMD hardware to be considered at a later stage.
>
> If they have even close to the amount of work we had to get it merged, I
> don't think that's at all realistic.  Then again, Dave is the one who wants
> to have a Vulkan driver for AMD hardware that he can package and ship so
> I'll let him decide how badly he wants it in this release.
>
>> That said here are the tentative dates:
>>
>> Oct 7/14 2016 - Feature freeze/Release candidate 1
>> Oct 14/21 2016 - Release candidate 2
>> Oct 21/28 2016 - Release candidate 3/final release
>>
>> Fwiw I'm still in favour of getting RADV in even if it's not
>> perfect/feature complete. Devs, let me know if there's a "must have"
>> feature that we want in 12.1.

The main problem I have with merging radv is the whole conformance testing
end of it.

It's probably fine if I just make a big printf on device creation that RADV
isn't a conformant vulkan implementation yet. Sorta like what Intel do on the
older GPUs.

Otherwise I don't think merging it is a big job, it's 30,000 lines of standalone
code, I've already merged the prereq patches, and I think any code sharing
should happen in tree.

Dave.