[Mesa-dev] RFH: Android support in Apitrace

José Fonseca jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 10:14:01 UTC 2017

Hi,

Another area of Apitrace I'm struggling with is Android support, because:

- I don't have a feeling if / how much it actually matters to users

- I have no idea if it even works or not

I'm afraid the status quo is unbearable, whereby Android support is
officially advertised, but users keep complaining issues building/using it,
and I can't help nor even tell them whether it's supposed to work.

Finally, there are alternatives for Android out there.  In particular
Google seems to be actively working on https://github.com/google/gapid

So my plan is to:

1) start advertising that Android is no longer supported (still allow the
build, but place loud warnings)

2) yank out support completely after some time (a month at max)

If by any chance Android still matters and works (or can be easily made to
work), then I'm counting on people to step up and give a hand to make
supporting it viable.

To halt (or revert) the Android deprecation process I'll need the following:

1) up-to-date instructions on how to build and use with recent Android
versions / SDKs

2) a Travis-CI build for Android (if somebody helps with item 1 I can help
with this item 2)

3) a very simple sanity test case using an Android emulator (Hopefully a
test that can be run from Travis-CI job too, but that can wait.  As long as
any Android user can easily run that test locally and verify things work
minimally I'm happy.)  I don't have experience with Android, nor the
need/time to learn now, so I'll be relying totally on the community for
this one too.

I don't think these requests are too much to ask if Android truly matters.

Jose