[Mesa-dev] VDPAU issues in 17.2 and master, and a test request

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Aug 21 12:34:17 UTC 2017

Hi guys,

I just wanted to record some of my observations with nouveau; I
haven't had time to debug what happened. All testing done with mplayer
-vo vdpau.

First off, it seems like master + DRI3 works, up to a point, but then
crashes in nouveau pushbuf logic with a missing kref (which means some
unknown buffer is being used ... somewhere).

Now, in 17.2-rcN (sorry, I forget which one, but recent), neither DRI2
nor DRI3 work. I believe they don't work differently, but both fail.
And on master, DRI2 also does not work (which I did by commenting out
the dri3 vl screen creation, although one could also achieve this by
not having a DRI3-capable X server, which is the default for nouveau).

The symptom of "not working" is mostly rejected pushbuf submissions
with "unknown handle 0", although sometimes (perhaps consistently in
one of the above configuratoins) it's the output that's completely off
(some purple-ish thing).

As I don't have the hardware myself, I was hoping someone could
confirm that this is a nouveau issue and not a more general one.
Ideally this would be done by testing VDPAU on both radeonsi and r600,
as well as both the DRI3 and the DRI2 paths. Please use mplayer for
this, not mpv or mplayer2 or anything else -- all those have various
differences in how the rendering is done from mplayer, which could
account for a different final result.

Thanks,

Ilia Mirkin
imirkin at alum.mit.edu