[Mesa-dev] GBM and the Device Memory Allocator Proposals

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 13:03:09 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 12:52 AM, James Jones <jajones at nvidia.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/2017 10:48 AM, Rob Clark wrote:

>>> I don't view this as terribly useful except for legacy apps that need an
>>> EGL
>>> window surface and can't be updated to use new methods.  Wayland
>>> compositors
>>> certainly don't fall in that category.  I don't know that any GBM apps
>>> do.
>>

>> kmscube doesn't count?  :-P
>>
>> Hmm, I assumed weston and the other wayland compositors where still
>> using gbm to create EGL surfaces, but I confess to have not actually
>> looked at weston src code for quite a few years now.
>>
>> Anyways, I think it is perfectly fine for GBM to stay as-is in it's
>> current form.  It can already import dma-buf fd's, and those can
>> certainly come from $new_thing.
>>
>> So I guess we want an EGL extension to return the allocator device
>> instance for the GPU.  That also takes care of the non-bare-metal
>> case.
>>
>>> Rather, I think the way forward for the classes of apps that need
>>> something
>>> like GBM or the generic allocator is more or less the path ChromeOS took
>>> with their graphics architecture: Render to individual buffers (using
>>> FBOs
>>> bound to imported buffers in GL) and manage buffer exchanges/blits
>>> manually.
>>>
>>> The useful abstraction surfaces provide isn't so much deciding which
>>> buffer
>>> is currently "front" and "back", but rather handling the
>>> transition/hand-off
>>> to the window system/display device/etc. in SwapBuffers(), and the whole
>>> idea of the allocator proposals is to make that something the application
>>> or
>>> at least some non-driver utility library handles explicitly based on
>>> where
>>> exactly the buffer is being handed off to.
>>

>> Hmm, ok..  I guess the transition will need some hook into the driver.
>> For freedreno and vc4 (and I suspect this is not uncommon for tiler
>> GPUs), switching FBOs doesn't necessarily flush rendering to hw.
>> Maybe it would work out if you requested the sync fd file descriptor
>> from an EGL fence before passing things to next device, as that would
>> flush rendering.
>

> This "flush" is exactly what usage transitions are for:
>
> 1) Perform rendering or texturing
> 2) Insert a transition into command stream using metadata extracted from
> allocator library into the rendering/texturing API using a new entry point.
> This instructs the driver to perform any flushes/decompressions/etc. needed
> to transition to the next usage the pipeline.
> 3) Insert/extract your fence (potentially this is combined with above entry
> point like it is in GL_EXT_semaphore).

yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that either a transition or simply
the act of requesting the fence fd from an EGL (or vk?) fence is
sufficient hint to the driver to know to flush a tiling pass.

>> I wonder a bit about perf tools and related things.. gallium HUD and
>> apitrace use SwapBuffers() as a frame marker..
>

> Yes, end frame markers are convenient but have never been completely
> reliable anyway.  Many apps exist now that never call SwapBuffers().
> Presumably these tools could add more markers to detect frames, including
> transitions or pseudo-extensions they implement in their wrapper code
> similar to Vulkan layers that these special types of apps could use
> explicitly.

I guess there are even things like GREMEDY_frame_terminator
extension.. which could be extended to GLES or perhaps an EGL equiv
introduced.  I suppose there are a few different ways we could solve
this..

BR,
-R