[Mesa-dev] testing for certain compiler options does not work

Marc Dietrich marvin24 at gmx.de
Thu Dec 7 10:15:13 UTC 2017

Hi Ian,

Am Mittwoch, 6. Dezember 2017, 21:21:53 CET schrieb Ian Romanick:
> On 11/29/2017 08:16 AM, Marc Dietrich wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > just found that my gcc 'gcc (SUSE Linux) 7.2.1 20171020 [gcc-7-branch
> > revision 253932]' does not warn when using the negative form of
> > unsupported warning options. So all the configure tests for such options
> > erroneously succeed, e.g:
> >
> > gcc -Wno-bob test.c # works fine
> >
> > gcc -Walice test.c # warns for unsupported compiler option
> >
> > Maybe gcc bug or intended behaviour, maybe only unique to my version?
>
> At least 6.4.1 does not have this problem, but our checks must be broken
> in a different way.  I see piles of

I just found that this is not a gcc bug but a feature (since 4.4), so this
should also happen with your compiler:

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#wnowarning

> cc1: warning: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wno-initializer-
overrides’

this should not happen, because this is the clang option which fails with gcc.
Is this with meson or autotools? Are you sure you applied the patch? I tested
it with both, gcc and clang and it works file here.