[Mesa-dev] GBM and the Device Memory Allocator Proposals

Miguel Angel Vico mvicomoya at nvidia.com
Fri Dec 8 18:52:39 UTC 2017

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 16:57:45 -0800
James Jones <jajones at nvidia.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> currently needs to be the one to realize the allocation from the
> >> capability set to get optimal behavior.  We could fix that by
> >> reworking our driver though.  At this point, not including
> >> device-local properties like on-device caching in capabilities seems
> >> like the right solution to me.  I'm curious whether this applies
> >> universally though, or if other hardware doesn't fit the "compression
> >> and stuff all behaves like a cache" idiom.
> >
> > Compression is a part of the memory layout for us: framebuffer
> > compression uses an additional "meta surface". At the most basic level,
> > an allocation with loss-less compression support is by necessity bigger
> > than an allocation without.
> >
> > We can allocate this meta surface separately, but then we're forced to
> > decompress when passing the surface around (e.g. to a compositor.)
> >
> > Consider also the example I gave elsewhere, where a cross-vendor tiling
> > layout is combined with vendor-specific compression:
> >
> > Device 1, rendering: caps(BASE/foo-tiling, VND1/compression)
> > Device 2, sampling/scanout: caps(BASE/foo-tiling, VND2/compression)
> >
> > Some more thoughts on caching or "device-local" properties below.
>
> Compression requires extra resources for us as well.  That's probably
> universal.  I think the distinction between the two approaches is
> whether the allocating driver deduces that compression can be used with
> a given capability set and hence adds the resources implicitly, or
> whether the capability set indicates it explicitly.  My theory is that
> the implicit path is possible, but it has downsides.  The explicit path
> is attractive due to its exact nature, as I alluded to in my talk:  You
> can tell the exact properties of an allocation given the capability set
> used to allocate it.  If that can be made to work, I prefer that path as
> well.  Agreed that your path also works better for the
> multi-vendor+device example.
>

> > [snip]

> >> No, all usages the app intends to transition to must be specified up
> >> front when initially querying caps in the model I assumed.  The app
> >> then specifies some subset (up to the full set) of the specified
> >> usages as a src and dst when querying transition metadata.

> >> I hadn't thought hard about it, but my initial thoughts were that it
> >> would be required that the driver support transitioning to any single
> >> usage given the capabilities returned.  However, transitioning to
> >> multiple usages (E.g., to simultaneously rendering and scanning out)
> >> could fail to produce a valid transition, in which case the app would
> >> have to fall back to a copy in that case, or avoid that simultaneous
> >> usage combination in some other way.

> >> Yes, it'll be good to see whether this can be made to work.  I agree
> >> Rob's example outcomes above are ideal, but it's not clear to me how
> >> to code up such an algorithm.  This also all seems unnecessary if
> >> "device local" capabilities aren't needed, as posited above.

Even if "device local" capabilities aren't exposed in the capability
set, we might still want to have capabilities exposed that may have an
associated transition, right? And as already mentioned, looks like some
capabilites such as shared caches might not qualify as "device local"
and must be exposed either way.

If we don't embed transition information in the capability set somehow,
I don't see how we can avoid the merge operation dropping certain
capabilities because they aren't found in all sets.

My background in the matter is limited, so I'm probably missing some
points, but here's an idea of how to implement Rob's suggestion, which
I think also ties to Nicolai's transition pseudo-algorithm below:

 1. Upon capabilities query, a device puts together a list of optimal
    capability sets to best satisfy the intended usage for that
    particular device.

 2. Since the list of all usages is provided, we can guess whether we
    might need subsets of those sets from (1) to satisfy all usages. We
    also know whether we can provide transitions that convert those
    sets (1) to simpler subsets.

 3. We add to the list of returned capability sets all optimal sets
    from (1) plus all suboptimal sets from (2) (than can actually be
    obtained through transitions from (1).

 4. We add information to each capability set so that we know what
    other sets in the list are obtained by applying transitions. Each
    set has a list 'source transitions' (pointer to source super set +
    pointer to transition to apply) and a list of 'destination
    transitions' (pointer to destination subset + pointer to transition
    to apply).

Thus, we end up with a list of sets and subsets connected to each other
according to the available transitions.

Then, we can modify the capability merge logic such that:

 1. We compute union of constraints

 2. We search for the set which capabilities are found in both provided
    lists. Since we have the connectivity information, we can actually
    return more complex sets that will be converted to the simpler
    found one (no need for dropping capabilities).

 3. If no intersection of sets is found by (2), we start dropping
    capabilities until we find an intersection, or fail the merge
    operation.

Note that transition information will be preserved in the new returned
list of sets.

When actually transitioning from one usage to another, we just navigate
the capability set graph from the corresponding source set to the
destination set, applying any transitions required, which are encoded
in the sets themselves.

> >> The allocator only knows the requested union of all usages currently.
> >> The number of possible transitions grows combinatorially for every
> >> usage requested I believe.  I expect there will be cases where ~10
> >> usages are specified, so generating all possible transitions all the
> >> time may be excessive, when the app will probably generally only care
> >> about 2 or 3 states, and in practice, there will probably only
> >> actually be 2 or 3 different underlying possible combinations of
> >> operations.
> >
> > Exactly. So I wonder if we can't just "cut through the bullshit" somehow?

Rather than expressing usage as a union of uses, would it make sense to
express it as a directed graph somehow so that the application can
specify how it intends to move the allocation around?

If we had a directed usage graph, upon capability query, we'd know what
transitions the application is going to care about, and expose one set
of capabilities and transitions or another accordingly.

> [...]
> >> rather than a capability, but it's actually too complicated (we need
> >> more memory locations than "device" and "host").  It has to be vendor
> >> specific, and hence fits in better as a capability.
> >
> > Could you give more concrete examples of what you'd like to see, and why
> > having this as constraints is insufficient?
>
> We have more than one "device local" memory with different capabilities
> on some devices.  I think you guys have this situation as well with your
> cards with an SSD on them or something if I'm interpretting the
> marketing stuf right.  I'd like to be able to express those all without
> needing to code them into the device-agnostic portion of the allocator
> library ahead of time.  That way, if we come up with any new clever
> ones, we don't need to wait for everyone to update their allocator
> library to make use of them.
>
> Additionally, with things like SLI/Crossfire, we end up with a sort of
> NUMA memory architecture, where memory on a "remote" card might have
> similar but not exactly the same capabilities as device-local memory.
> This would be rather complex to represent in the generic constraints as
> well.
>
> >> I think if possible, we should try to keep the design generalized to
> >> as few types of objects and special cases as possible.  The more we
> >> can generalize the solutions to our existing problem set, the better
> >> the mechanism should hold up as we apply it to new and unknown
> >> problems as they arise.
> >
> > I'm coming around to the fact that those things should perhaps live in a
> > single list/array, but I still don't like the term "capability".
> >
> > I admit it's a bit of bike-shedding, but I'm starting to think it would
> > be better to go with the generic term "property" or "attribute", and
> > then add flags/adjectives to that based on how merging should work.
> >
> > This would include the constraints as well -- it seems arbitrary to me
> > that those would be singled out into their own list.
> >
> > Basically, the underlying principle is that a good API would have either
> > one list that includes all the properties, or one list per
> > merging-behavior. And I think one single list is easier on the API
> > consumer and easier to extend.
>
> Agreed with Rob.  Constraints are different for a reason: They're
> non-extensible and hence can merge in more complex ways.  Capabilities
> are extensible, but must be merged by simple memcmp()-style operations,
> currently more or less simple intersection.
>
> However, I also don't care about naming.  "Constraints" was chosen
> because it connotates negatively since they "limit" what an allocation
> created from a capability set can do, and similarly "capabilities"
> connotates positively because it indicates things that are built up
> additively to describe abilities of an allocation.  However, I don't
> know that that metaphor held up entirely as the design was realized, so
> it might be a good time to bikeshed new names anyway.

There have been several naming suggestions for different pieces of the
library. I'll start separate threads with patches with some of the
name changes, so we can keep the bike-shedding separate from the design
discussion.

Thanks.

--
Miguel