[Mesa-dev] Allocator Nouveau driver, Mesa EXT_external_objects, and DRM metadata import interfaces

Miguel Angel Vico mvicomoya at nvidia.com
Wed Dec 20 20:41:34 UTC 2017

Inline.

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 11:54:10 -0800
Kristian Høgsberg <hoegsberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> > Since this also involves the kernel let's add dri-devel ...

Yeah, I forgot. Thanks Daniel!

> [...]
> >>   by the underlying EGL implementation.
> >>
> >>   You can pull these changes from:
> >>
> >>       https://github.com/mvicomoya/kmscube/tree/wip/mvicomoya/allocator-nouveau
> >>

> >> With all the above you should be able to get kmscube working using the
> >> allocator on top of the Nouveau driver.
> >>

> >> Another of the missing pieces before we can move this to production is
> >> importing allocations to DRM FB objects. This is probably one of the
> >> most sensitive parts of the project as it requires modification/addition
> >> of kernel driver interfaces.
> >>
> >> At XDC2017, James had several hallway conversations with several people
> >> about this, all having different opinions. I'd like to take this
> >> opportunity to also start a discussion about what's the best option to
> >> create a path to get allocator allocations added as DRM FB objects.
> >>
> >> These are the few options we've considered to start with:
> >>
> >>   A) Have vendor-private ioctls to set properties on GEM objects that
> >>      are inherited by the FB objects. This is how our (NVIDIA) desktop
> >>      DRM driver currently works. This would require every vendor to add
> >>      their own ioctl to process allocator metadata, but the metadata is
> >>      actually a vendor-agnostic object more like DRM modifiers. We'd
> >>      like to come up with a vendor-agnostic solutions that can be
> >>      integrated to core DRM.
> >>
> >>   B) Add a new drmModeAddFBWithMetadata() command that takes allocator
> >>      metadata blobs for each plane of the FB. Some people in the
> >>      community have mentioned this is their preferred design. This,
> >>      however, means we'd have to go through the exercise of adding
> >>      another metadata mechanism to the whole graphics stack.
> >>
> >>   C) Shove allocator metadata into DRM by defining it to be a separate
> >>      plane in the image, and using the existing DRM modifiers mechanism
> >>      to indicate there is another plane for each "real" plane added. It
> >>      isn't clear how this scales to surfaces that already need several
> >>      planes, but there are some people that see this as the only way
> >>      forward. Also, we would have to create a separate GEM buffer for
> >>      the metadatada itself, which seems excessive.
> >>
> >> We personally like option (B) better, and have already started to
> >> prototype the new path (which is actually very similar to the
> >> drmModeAddFB2() one). You can take a look at the new interfaces here:
> >>
> >>     https://github.com/mvicomoya/linux/tree/wip/mvicomoya/drm_addfb_with_metadata__4.14-rc8
> >>
> >> There may be other options that haven't been explored yet that could be
> >> a better choice than the above, so any suggestion will be greatly
> >> appreciated.
> >
> > What kind of metadata are we talking about here? Addfb has tons of
> > stuff already that's "metadata". The only thing I've spotted is
> > PITCH_ALIGNMENT, which is maybe something we want drm drivers to tell
> > userspace, but definitely not something addfb ever needs. addfb only
> > needs the resulting pitch that we actually allocated (and might decide
> > it doesn't like that, but that's a different issue).

Sorry I failed to make it clearer. Metadata here refers to all
allocation parameters the generic allocator was given to allocate
memory. That currently means the final capability set used for
the allocation, including all constraints (such as memory alignment,
pitch alignment, and others) and capabilities, describing allocation
properties like tiling formats, compression, and such.

> > And since there's no patches for nouveau itself I can't really say
> > anything beyond that.

I can work on implementing these interfaces for nouveau, maybe
partially, if that's going to help. I just thought it'd be better to
first start a discussion on what would be the right way to pass
allocator metadata to display drivers before starting to seriously
implement any of the proposed options.

> I'd like to see concrete examples of actual display controllers
> supporting more format layouts than what can be specified with a 64
> bit modifier.

The main problem is our tiling and other metadata parameters can't
generally fit in a modifier, so we find passing a blob of metadata a
more suitable mechanism.

Thanks.

> Kristian
>
> > -Daniel