[Mesa-dev] features.txt & EXT_debug_label extension

Eero Tamminen eero.t.tamminen at intel.com
Fri Feb 10 10:56:26 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 09.02.2017 19:30, Ian Romanick wrote:
> On 02/09/2017 05:19 PM, Eero Tamminen wrote:
>> When checking GL errors for "Unturned" (Steam top-20 Unity3D based
>> game), I noticed that it uses functions from extension unsupported by
>> Mesa, and missing from "features.txt":
>> https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/extensions/EXT/EXT_debug_label.txt

---------------------------------
New Procedures and Functions

     void LabelObjectEXT(enum type, uint object, sizei length,
         const char *label);
     void GetObjectLabelEXT(enum type, uint object, sizei bufSize,
         sizei *length, char *label);
---------------------------------

>> Could it be added to "features.txt" file?
>
> I thought the functionality of that extension was folded into some other
> ARB (or KHR) extension... GL_KHR_debug, maybe?

Yes, that has similar functionality, and Mesa already supports it:
https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/extensions/KHR/KHR_debug.txt

Just with different function names:

     void ObjectLabel(enum identifier, uint name, sizei length,
         const char *label);

     void GetObjectLabel(enum identifier, uint name, sizei bufSize,
         sizei *length, char *label);

As fairly new & commonly used Unity3D game and Apitrace both support the
EXT versions, I think it makes sense add aliases also for the EXT variants.

> It's also not the sort of thing that an app should use in release mode.

That (free-to-play) game is still in early access phase.  Maybe it helps
developer getting more useful feedback from more techical users. :-)

	- Eero